No matter how old you are or what life stage you’re in, getting a good night’s sleep is important! Nothing feels better than waking up refreshed from a solid rest, but many of us don’t feel this often enough. Seniors face many issues that could be causing poor sleeping habits, but these tips can help to make more of your nights blissful!
- Get sunlight in your waking hours. Looking to enjoy your days more? Step outside and enjoy the sun! This is proven to improve your circadian rhythm so the darkness at bedtime becomes more relaxing!
- No screen time 2 hours before bed. As tempting as it may be to watch TV from the comfort of your bed, this can actually have a negative impact on your health. The blue light emitted from our screens makes it harder for our brains to relax.
- Avoid caffeine late in the day. Love a good cup of joe to start your day off right? It’s probably best to keep your coffee drinking to the morning and early afternoon It’s recommended you skip the caffeine after 3 pm because it stays active in your bloodstream for 6-8 hours!
- Don’t nap too late. Everybody loves a quick power nap between activities, but napping wrong and for too long can actually do more harm than good. If you must take naps, keep them short and earlier in the day.
- Create a sleep schedule. Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends. Your body will eventually adjust and you’ll wake up naturally, which makes you feel less tired!
- Optimize your bedroom environment. Find your perfect temperature (hint: cooler is better!), keep things dark, eliminate distracting clutter, turn bright clocks away from you, and make sure your bed and pillows are comfy.
- Don’t eat right before bed. A midnight snack will keep your body busy digesting food which can prevent you from settling in. So keep your heavier meals earlier in the day and stick with light snacks in the evening.
- Get regular exercise. Aside from the number of health benefits and protections against illnesses it brings, having a regular activity schedule can help give you a better good night’s sleep. You’ll find you can relax easier if you maintain a healthy exercise routine, but don’t do it right before bed!
- Use natural supplements. This should only be after a discussion with your doctor! They can help you determine which supplements will serve you best.
- Make a solid bedtime routine. Take a warm bath or shower, do some relaxing stretches and meditation, keep a journal so you can get your thoughts out, or read a book! The more consistent your schedule, the more comfortable your body will be with falling asleep when you need it to.
If you try all these tips and you’re still struggling to sleep, pay a visit to your doctor as there could be a deeper issue at play. At Bellaire at Devonshire, we want nothing more than to see our residents happy, healthy, and well-rested! If you’d like to learn more about our community, schedule a tour or call our team at (304) 760-5290.