We are so excited that spring has sprung at Bellaire at Devonshire. Our team and resident family thoroughly enjoyed getting outside, getting fresh air and sunshine, and watching the flowers start to bloom.
In early May, a few residents enjoyed playing a water balloon toss game with some of our team. On a particularly hot day, we threw a popsicle party that was a big hit.
The Walking Club has picked up again and participants are enjoying being active outside again.
We also celebrated Cinco De Mayo with mini taco salads, lime cake and of course — margaritas!
The team also put together an elegant Mother’s Day Tea Party to celebrate the amazing moms of the Bellaire at Devonshire family.
Benefits of Spending Time Outdoors for Seniors
There are a wide variety of benefits associated with getting outside regularly, especially for seniors. Being outside in nature is so important, so you should try to get outside at least once per day. Whether it’s taking a walk, gardening, fishing, or simply sitting on a bench enjoying the sunshine and gentle breeze, there are many activities that can help you get your daily dose of nature.
Being outside can:
- Improve your mood. Several studies have found that simple nature walks can significantly reduce levels of depression and stress and give the walker an improved sense of mental health and well-being. The sights, smells, and sounds of nature make people happier.
- Enhance your sleep. Between the fresh air, sunshine, and movement, it has been shown that time outdoors helps people sleep better and more restfully. This results in feeling more refreshed the following day and more likely to participate in other health-boosting activities.
- Strengthen your immune system. There have been a few studies that show that being outdoors can increase your white blood cell count for several days. In addition, getting your hands dirty by doing things like gardening also introduces good bacteria to your system that helps your immune function.
- Soak in the “sunshine vitamin.” It’s no secret that sunshine is the best source of vitamin D available. Vitamin D is essential for protecting against osteoporosis, heart disease, and even some types of cancer.
- Increase your energy. Being outdoors can give you a sense of vitality and make you feel more alive. This boosted energy/outlook helps to make you more resistant to illnesses.
- Boost health. Researchers have found that patients recovering from surgery tend to recover more quickly, experience less pain, and spend less time in the hospital when they’re exposed to natural light. Breathing fresh air is also a great benefit for your overall health.
- Help you connect with friends and loved ones. Spending time outdoors is a great way to enhance your relationships with your friends and loved ones. The social aspect of outdoor activities is beneficial to mental health and well-being.
There are so many ways that seniors benefit from getting outside regularly. As you consider assisted living communities for yourself or a loved one, make sure you schedule a tour and ask about outdoor areas, activities, and how they ensure there are plenty of opportunities to get outside and soak up some vitamin D.
At Bellaire at Devonshire, we pride ourselves in beautiful outdoor spaces and plenty of planned outdoor activities, such as our walking club, water balloon toss, and so much more.
Come experience our beautiful outdoor spaces for yourself by scheduling a visit today!