Deciding upon an assisted living community for yourself or a loved one can be a daunting task. It can be difficult to look beyond beautifully-landscaped exteriors and grandiose facilities to the things that truly matter when making this big decision.
It’s important to keep your needs in mind and prepare a list of questions prior to visiting an assisted living community. This will keep your priorities in check and your mind at ease that you’re making an informed decision.
While beautiful spaces and immaculate designs are attractive and can provide a certain sense of calm in themselves, it’s important to look past the ambience to the experience of the care team as well as their approach to care.
You want to find a place that treats their resident family with respect and dignity while promoting autonomy whenever possible. Look for smiling faces among both the team and the residents.
Here are some things to ask for and note when visiting an assisted living community:
- Ask for references for the owners and/or team members (and really check them)
- Notice communication throughout the tour process. Are your questions being answered in a satisfactory manner? This could be indicative of the experience you’ll have with communication in the future.
- Note if the community seems understaffed or if there is a high team member to resident ratio.
- Are there qualified team members available around the clock?
- Is there a registered nurse and/or doctor on site?
- Is the community clean and tidy?
- Do residents appear to be clean, content, and well taken care of?
- What activities are planned?
Depending upon your loved one’s needs, there are really no “wrong” answers when touring a community. The right community is the one that best aligns with your needs, personality, and desires.
Also depending on your loved ones desires, it may be important to find out:
- Are pets allowed?
- Is smoking allowed? If so, where?
- What transportation is available to residents and what is the process for arranging it?
- How are health concerns managed and monitored?
- What security measures are in place to keep residents safe?
- Does a sample menu appeal to your loved one’s tastes?
- What is the monthly cost associated with the community? What is included in that price?
Need more guidance? Check out our Community Checklist.
Come Get To Know Bellaire At Devonshire
At Bellaire at Devonshire, we know that choosing the right community for yourself or a loved one is a big responsibility. Touring communities and asking questions can be taxing.
Let us make the experience enjoyable for you! We invite you to schedule a visit and come out to experience the Devonshire difference for yourself.